Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Day Of Summer! Getting My Float On!



These pictures were taken this past weekend....like 2 days ago. Today is the first day of summer and the day before yesterday I was knee deep in 6-8" of fresh up at the Bird. It is June 21!!!! The first picture was taken on Saturday on Mineral Express and the second picture was taken exactly 24 hours later on the same lift. Crazy! As much as I have been absolutely loving the amazing spring skiing at the Bird, it was really cool to feel "the float" again.....floating through fresh, untracked "powder" in the bowl below Book Ends in Mineral Basin. No one else traversed through the gates, set up to control the avies, so even at the very end of the day, I had an entire bowl to myself where I was able to get the perfect turns in and slay fresh, deep, thick snow.

Ahhhhhhh ohhhhhhhh...... I could not have asked for a better situation. I mean, having ZERO visibility during some parts of the day is never fun, and often sketchy, but hitting up those two Mineral runs was worth being soaking wet, cold, wind burned, sore and alone. I have learned the lesson that living in Park City and riding the Bird practically until my birthday necessitates Gore Tex to be in my closet ready and waiting all year long.

So with that said, I wore a skirt and tank top to commemorate the first day of summer and not surprisingly burned my shins in the process. I was sitting out on my favorite grassy knoll at the U which overlooks the entire SLC valley as well as the entire Wasatch (the view is so beautiful it's amazing that I get any homework done). I really, really enjoyed being out there again. This is the first time since September that I was able to sit outside because it's been so rainy and cold. First day in a tank top and skirt too.....except for when I wore one at the Bird a few weeks ago and burned my arms and back so bad from sun/snow reflection that I fainted from the pain and spent a few days in bed because it hurt so bad and I was so nauseous. (Lesson learned...cover up at the Dirty B!).

I'm excited for my first summer here in Park City! It is soooooo beautiful up here and the kids and I are so lucky to be able to enjoy it. I am ready with my trail maps and am just waiting for school to be out so that the baby girl and I can check it all out! The boys went out in their stroller last week, on the Farm Trail, but I think it will be too hot for them to be cruising around on trails for a while.

Now that it's summer......BRING ON THE HEAT!!!