Sunday, February 13, 2011

Powder Stakeout




All week long I had been chomping at the bit to get up to the Canyons to hike the ridge above Ninety Nine 90. Today was the most beautiful and perfect day to make it finally happen. It was 50 degrees at the base so I wore one layer of peppers and a sweatshirt and was off. (Oh yeah, and LOTS of sunscreen). I made my way straight over to Ninety Nine 90 (Well after 2 stupid gondolas and three chairlifts). I zipped up the first part of the hike, usually where everyone stops and drops. I took a few pictures and then made my way up to one of my favorite panorama spots in Utah... a really special spot that overlooks Big Cottonwood Canyon.

I was prepared with a little pack complete with camera, snacks, drinks and my binoculars. I sat in the sun for about a half hour looking at the view and I saw all kinds of things I hadn't seen without my binos! I saw: the Great Salt Lake, Kennecott, the King Con lift over at Park City, the entire Brighton resort, the entire Solitude resort, all of Park City, Jordanelle Resevoir, the route Josh and I are going to take to ride the backside of the Canyons into Big Cottonwood Canyon....and the coolest thing was a MASSIVE slide in an upper bowl above Big Cottonwood Canyon. It was about 300 feet wide at the crown and it slid about 120 feet. I didn't actually see it slide, but it looked fresh. It looked like a solid slab, North East facing, at about a 45 degree pitch and there were no tracks in that bowl.

The purpose of this powder stakeout was to satisfy my unending curiosity of "what's over there...", to plot lines to ride into Park City and Big Cottonwood Canyon and also to see what bowls could be a possibility for my heli drops. I had a hard time leaving my favorite little spot. I was warm in the sun, looking at a beautiful panorama and was so fascinated with what all I could see with my binos. There was hardly anyone skiing at Brighton or Solitude. I was really surprised. Maybe they were all out golfing!

The first time I hiked this ridge, we came down through Dutchman's Draw, but I don't know the name of the one I did today. I was the only one up there (REALLY low avy danger) and I couldn't find ski patrol to ask. But, it is my favorite run in Utah. I had fresh tracks all the way down, with a huge rooster tail. The snow was crusty but still soft underneath. It is so exhilarating to hike that incredible ridge and then to ride my favorite run on a virgin line. Ooohhhh- life was good for me today!!!!

Because I had a good tour guide to show me the rest of the resort before, I was able to find some other fun runs on the Dreamscape side of the mountain today. It obviously all pales in comparison to hiking and riding that bowl, but I have been able to find some other little treasures on that mountain :)

I had more pictures, but the idiot at Best Buy sold me the wrong cord, so I can't put my camera pics up until tomorrow. But, the ones up above are taken from my favorite spot overlooking Solitude straight ahead and Brighton to the left. I am happy I had such an amazing day. PCMR almost got 86'd from my snow arsenal the other day, but the Ridge park was so fun, it saved the day. I can't stand being all amped up to ride and then to drive around the parking lot for a half hour looking for a parking spot. But, all was remedied when I started to land my front side half cabs. Oh the little things that amuse me!!! Now the biggest decision for tomorrow is...What resort do I go to on a 50 degree day on my day off.... I will ponder that while I finish my Arabic homework!