Monday, February 21, 2011

Four Feet of Fresh!!

It's a good thing it was a holiday, because with 4 FEET OF FRESH I was not going to be going to school anyway!!! Headed up early (as in 9:00am!) but Little Cottonwood Canyon opened late due to avy control so cars were backed up to the Sev at the intersection of the two Cottonwood Canyons. It took 2 hours to go from that intersection to the Bird parking lot. It was a good thing I had my Rockstar, Gatorade, bag of carrots and a friend from San Francisco who flew in for work, but timed the storm perfectly! (He actually did extensive research on the weather pattern and what day would yield the best fresh pow as well as nice weather).

We hopped on the Tram and headed straight for the Baldy side of Mineral. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I was in pow field heaven!!! 4 feet of fresh, low water content POW!!! I was FLOATING!!!! We took a few runs back there and while we were doing that, about 100 people had lined up on the Road to Provo cat....waiting for that bad boy to open. Right as we were reaching Hidden Peak via Mineral Basin Express ski patrol dropped the flag and it was powder madness!!! We raced down the cat and dropped right at the Wave into a powder oblivion!!! Everyone was screaming and hooting and hollering!!!! It was like a mad dash of people traversing and then dropping like little lemmings!! As I was floating down on my magic carpet, the T. Rizzle (AKA The Powder Slayer) a Powder Shot photographer was posted up and he took some really awesome pictures of me tearing through the gnar! I went down later and purchased two of them! I don't have any pics of me actually in action! I am so excited!!! Plus, Provo is my favorite Bird run! Perfect!!!

After that madness, we went through the black forest and took some amazing deep pow tree runs through Tiger Tail, Thunder Bowl and down to Baby Thunder. AHHHHHHHHH :)
At one point, I was bombing through the trees and somehow my mitten got stuck in the tree and I had to hike up and bat my mitten down, while getting dumped on. We hit up Zoom and then did one more Tram run down through Chips, the Primrose Path and down through a gully stocked up with pow.

I wanted to take more pictures of the amazingness that was Snowbird today, but there was no time for stopping. Charging hard all day long, I finally took off my soaking wet boxers and took a nice hot shower. I love Utah!