Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Home Sweet Home





I hadn't been to my Home Sweet Home since New Years! I had a random Saturday night and Sunday off so I packed up the kids, the ski boots (he he) and my torn Christmas tree jammies and headed for the border!

I got in about 8:00 pm and Squirrel had his new recipe for romesco ready for my gastronomical pleasure. Skippy, with her "expensive taste in wine" (a comment some lady made to her in the checkout line at Winks, regarding her $6.99 bottle of Fetzer Gevurtraminer)(which is my favorite wine of all time) prepared an awesome salad and pumpkin pie. Yuuum!!!

Sunday morning we stopped by church to listen to Squirrel sing in the choir to a new version of "The Lords Prayer". It is one of my favorite songs and was really happy to hear them sing it. After that Skip and I stopped by McQ's and rented MY FIRST PAIR OF SKIS!!!! I asked for skis in the 153-159 range, with a rocker.....the boys over there paired me with the K2 Burnin Luv 153's. I got really excited driving up to Bogus on that pretty blue day with Skip and our skis! Once up there, Skip asked if I wanted to hit up the Bunny Hill.... HECK NO!!! I clicked into those bad boys, took the lift to the top of the mountain and was OFF!!! It was similar to skiing on snow blades, just longer and a lot heavier. We made it all the way around and to the back of the mountain with no falls and quite a bit of speed! I don't know if I should be so bold as to say that I was "whipping" around the mountain, but I think I might just say that. It was a very successful first day of skiing. I refuse to "snowplow" and only do it a limited amount in the lift line. It drives me crazy to watch ski instructors teach that to newbies. I learned some bad habits when I learned to ride and am hoping to avoid learning bad habits while skiing.

Skip and I had a really, really fun day! The weather was beautiful, the snow was really nice and new and it's always a blast to be skiing with one of my favorite mountain buddies- the Skipmo! The middle picture is of me pretending to be one of the little boys who bomb the mountain by bending way down....we were going pretty fast when this picture was taken and was surprised at how well it turned out, especially given Skip's inability to see what she is actually taking a picture of through her viewfinder!

After a fun and ultimately tiring day of skiing we went home, Skip made funeral potatos and asparagus and we watched the Oscars and she fixed my jammies. Thanks Skip!

So....after trying this whole thing out, I am going to consider purchasing my own pair. A few posts ago I brazenly stated that my "new mission in life" was to learn how to ski. I was disappointed to see how badly skiing hurts my knees, compared to riding which never hurts them. But, in order to really experience the back country, I may need to overlook the pain. Skiing really makes for a different experience on the mountain. I can't say it was better or worse, but just different and I really did enjoy it. I am going to try out a wider pair and then see what I think.... But, contrary to what Josh feared and accused.. I am not going to be a traitor to my riding buddies! Being on one board is my favorite place to be!