Saturday, March 12, 2011

EPIC Spring Blue Bird Day!!!






I have to admit....I was a Canyons hater at the beginning of the season. But....after having some really epic days up there this winter, I have realized that the Canyons has done me right. I took my friend Josh up there today and we had an absolutely amazing day!!! We tried to hit up Canis Lupis, but they shut the lift down right as we reached the chair! I am completely incompetent at operating the tow rope, so I had to hike back up to the gondola....

Once back at the base, we decided to sit on "The Beach" (cute lawn chairs in a line at the bottom of the mountain) and sit in the sun for a minute. (Picture 1). It was about 45 degrees up there and I was so thrilled to be riding in my sweatshirt. After lounging on the beach, we hit up the mile long park, which was awesome! They really have done a great job with it....little boxes, big boxes, mini kickers, monster kickers, a gong, corrugated tubes and walls, rails, tree jibs...the works. After only rolling through there once, we headed straight for Ninety Nine 90. Both of us agree that dropping "Big Mac" bowl is the best run in Utah. Granted, it is quite a hike, but the view is incredible, the hike isn't too bad and the run is totally epic. Without being dropped off by a heli, this is the best run accessible via a chairlift + hike in Utah.

I really, really love, love, love sitting on this peak overlooking Big Cottonwood Canyon, Park City and Salt Lake. I enforced my 10 minute sitting rule and Josh was even conciliatory enough to let me take a picture of us. (He likes to hike and drop immediately. I like to sit and enjoy the scenery, observe the silence and rest from hiking). The third picture is from the top of Big Mac bowl. We hiked the ridge past Dutchman's and Easter Bowl. We swapped phones and he videotaped me and I did the same for him. I cannot even explain the body high I get from riding this bowl. The top of the bowl was fresh powder from the recent storm. My video shows HUGE rooster tails. Of course, I was riding my magic carpet...my new T Rice, and was flying like a bat out of hell all the way down. I took a picture of my line from the bottom and laughed at how erratic it was compared to the skiers tight S turns. When I got to the bottom there were about 10 people who stopped to watch and almost all were videoing/photographing my descent.

The Canyons is kind of an anomaly. The resort is wide with large proclaimed acreage, but the runs are short and the chair lifts are long. The tree runs can be wonderful and the groomers are average. But....there are some really amazing niche areas; Canis Lupis- the natural half pipe, incredible back country bowl access and a technical park run. I am glad that I gave the Canyons a second chance because it sure has provided me with some memorable days on the mountain this season, and not least of which, my favorite run in Utah!!! :)