Monday, January 31, 2011

Sundance!



For the past 11 days Sundance Film Festival has been going on in Park City. I have been watching all the updates on E! of all the stars and all their great movies and how everyone is ranting and raving over Paul Rudd and Demi Moore. As crazy as this may sound, I have lived in Utah for almost 4 years and this was the first year I attended Sundance! Not my normal style, but there have always been mitigating factors. Anyway, last Tuesday a girlfriend of mine and I drove up to Park City and had dinner at High West Distillery. We sell almost all of the whiskey that they distill right there on their property in my bar, and after going on a tour, I had to try their food. (In case anyone is curious, the Bouraye whiskey they make is my favorite and I concocted the most delicious cocktail with their silver whiskey with muddled fresh mint and fresh raspberries, homemade simple syrup with a press. I believe that I should trademark it, it's so good. Anyway......

So, we had dinner up there, and ordered some of their signature cocktails. We went up the street to the No Name Saloon and were greeted immediately with free drinks. The girl I was with was having so much fun, since "she never gets out and drinks in Park City" that she begged to stay at the bar to keep drinking. I kept directing men her way and watched with amusement over a nice snifter of scotch. We missed our movie, which I was really disappointed about. So....the next day, I decided that it was absolutely imperative that I see a Sundance movie, so I bought a ticket for this morning. Pretty much the only movie that wasn't sold out was called Attenberg. The description in the movie guide was that it was about a girl who lived with her father in a decaying sea town and a stranger comes to town and changes everything.

Now, anyone who has shared a bag of popcorn with me knows that I HATE READING MOVIES!!! The first thing that happens in the movie is Greek dialogue with subtitles. OH NO! I want to scream! But, no, I stay put, having just purchased a very large bag of popcorn, paying $30 for the movie, driving all the way up to Park City, braving the traffic to dart across Kearns to stand in a tent, outside with a bunch of stinky, hair- not- washed, liberal artists. I battled through the whole movie. Not only did I have to read it, I was subjected to hairy Greek crotches, an insufficient blow job scene, the scattering of ashes, more underwear, no plot and ugly actors. It was excruciating. The actors/ directors did not even show up to introduce the movie! I hate to complain, but that was my Sundance experience. All would have been forgotten had I met Ryan Reynolds.

After the movie, I drove up the street to Park City where I was able to get a few switch runs in down McConkeys and Pay Day and then a few through the park. A throbbing migraine forced me to pack it in early, but I did make it home just in time to watch my favorite athlete, Shaun White, annihilate the Super Pipe in Aspen to win gold in the X Games. Altogether an interesting day off!

The bottom picture is at the top of McConkeys overlooking the backside of Brighton and Guardsman's pass.