Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pomerelle


On my way home from "home" I stopped off at Pomerelle, a ski resort outside of Albion, Idaho. It was a quaint little resort with two lifts and pretty panoramic views of southern Idaho. It only took a few runs to see the whole resort and then I became obsessed with hitting this one kicker. I realized that spinning switch comes more natural to me than spinning regular, so that was interesting.

What was more interesting were all the characters I saw up there! The majority of the people up there were rollin on free boards from beer or tobacco companies....(Bud Light, Corona etc.) I saw a few people in jeans. Almost no one had goggles. They didn't even have sunglasses! How could they see with the wind in their face? Hardly anyone had beanies and no one had a helmet. Gloves were also optional and everyone smoked on the lift. Not bud...but gross cigarettes! Someone built a little kicker on the run under the lift but no one was hitting the groomed kicker, except for me. The funniest part was that they wouldn't spin or grab, they would just launch themselves off the jump and land in the soft powder without even trying to ride out of it. Pretty strange! But, it was really fun to visit a new mountain and add it onto my life list of 100 resorts. (so far I'm still hovering around 20). I felt way over dressed in my purple pants and new Empyre hoodie, not to mention my new goggles! But the lifties were nice- always grabbed me while I was standing waiting for the chair. Not sure if they thought I was going to fall or what. Not my first rodeo....maybe I looked like a novice since I didn't look like some of hard core bangers and beaters they had there.

My drive home was also an adventure....my Idaho State Highway map showed that there was a road that connected Manta to the I-84...however, no such road existed. So, I took a lonely back country highway which was covered in snow until I hit the Utah border. (Where they are much more efficient at snow removal and use salt) I ended up getting back on the interstate and drove through my old friend Snowville, which put me at ease.

Once back in Salt Lake I stopped in and picked up the baby girl, who I had really missed. She had fun staying at Daddy's house and playing with her new boyfriend Boomer. (Aka Boom Town). There was some excitement at Dad's house- he got engaged over Christmas!!! Mischa will be the flower girl and Boomer will be the ring bearer. I'm so excited and happy for Josh and Andrea! Love is in the air!